Sunday, July 19, 2009

With Seasoned Rice


I figured that my first post should be about something I love. The only thing I could think of (maybe just because I'm hungry) is sushi.


Please understand that I am not a sushi snob. I have one Japanese cookbook but I have only made sushi at home once or twice. My rolls came out horribly and the products I was working with were pretty poor grade. While I seriously appreciate high quality sushi and sashimi (definitions will follow) I am not a stranger to the "all you can eat sushi buffet" at a Chinese restaurant. We study Japanese cuisine in school and I made sushi again there. I learned a lot about sushi then.


Sushi, like all Japanese foods, is simple and focuses on the quality and freshness of product as well as the skill of the chef making it. What is sushi other than fish, vegetables, sea greens, and rice? There's not much going on there. Then why is it that bad sushi is so easy to make and good sushi so hard to find? It wouldn't be if the assembly consisted of adding the ingredients to a blender and turning it on. Luckily, the delicate and precise preparation of sushi and sashimi leaves us with a scrumptious treat that is nothing more than the ingredients as nature made them.


So, what is Sushi? Raw fish? Guess again.
Sushi's more expensive counterpart, Sashimi, is defined as peices of fish, pickled, coked, raw, or other wise. No rice is involved. Sashimi might be served with rice on the side and the classic wasabi and pickled ginger. Shushi, on the other hand, is well, everything else. Anytime seasoned rice (vinegar and sugar are added) is included the item at hand would be classified as sushi. Sushi has many catagories from Nigiri, a slice of fish on a wad of rice, to Temaki, a roll of sushi that is shaped like an icecream cone.


As the rice is often the majority of the piece of sushi, it is extremely important. I have heard that those wishing to become a sushi chef must spend three years studying only how to make sushi rice. Rice making is a process on its own. First the proper rice must be selected (short grain with lots of starch), then washed, then a very specific recipe must be followed for cooking, then cooling, seasoning, and holding unless it will be immediately used for sushi.


So how do you know what good sushi is? There are several factors to consider. Of course, there is location of restaurant, service, price, menu selection, and ambiance (all of which will affect your meal). As far as the sushi itself, The main factors you want to watch are the taste and whether or not the sushi melts in your mouth. That is the prime quality of great sushi. When you bite into the sushi it should simply fall apart and almost dissolve in your mouth. low quality fish, vegetables, sea greens and rice will result in something more chewy that may even be a challenge to bite through. This is not good sushi. Also, the sushi should taste like the ingredients. In more cases than not ingredients will be raw or at least the flavor will not be tampered with with. Of course there are exceptions: tempura rolls, broiled eel, fried chicken roll, etc.


I would now like to let you all know about my new favorite sushi place. Just up the street is a restaurant called Matsu (on Columbus Ave. in between west 83rd and 84th, New york City, NY, 10024). Matsu has fantastic sushi lunch specials. In between 11:30 and 4:00 you can get several prix fix plates or 2 rolls ($9) or 3 rolls ($11). The portions are generous and the price very reasonable. for such a low price, the quality is unbelievable. I have paid much more for much lower quality sushi in the past. Matsu certainly serves sushi that melts in your mouth. If you are ever on the upper west side make sure you check out this little japanese gem.


So that's my take on sushi. If I messed up or missinformed my readers, let me know...please. Also, Check out this site! It will fill in all the blanks I left.


I don't think I did though.
-Frank

3 comments:

  1. This made me really hungry! As you wer describing it, I was also thinking about how beautiful good sushi and sashimi are. They look like little sculptures. I'm worried about the freshness of fish here in Fort Worth, Texas. How does a person find a good place, inland like this?
    Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post Sushi is something that i would have to say i eat every day. NYC is a food Mecca we all know this but living in the middle of the pacific i have found that the quality is just better but thats just because of location. Just to add on if anyone wants some amazing sushi ideas check out Dave "DK" Kodama Chef and owner of Sansei Seafood and sushi Bar hes got some amazing ideas and what a great place if your ever on Maui

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie and I had very good sushi at Stingray in Rehoboth Beach, DE (59 Lake Avenue). It did indeed "melt in our mouths" and tasted very fresh. We ordered a sampler, since it's been awhile since either of us had sushi. Our server was very knowledgable; she also recommended a good, ice-cold sake to go with my meal. The last time I had sake it was warm and gave me a headache, but this was very nice.

    Kathryn H.

    ReplyDelete