Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My first post!

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to be here, blogging with Frankie.

While he's spent the past year in the Culinary Institute of America, I'll be starting my first year on November 9th and blogging about my experiences as I go.

I've always been a food person, as long as I can remember. There are pictures of me from when I was 2 years old wearing an apron and holding a cooking pot, with the hugest grin you could imagine on my face. As I grew older I would spend hours in the kitchen mixing together anything and everything I could find in our cupboards, putting it in a loaf pan, baking it for 5 minutes, and making my family eat the results. Ever patient, my mother would gently suggest I look at a recipe but I always wanted to figure it out on my own.

Although I now live for cookbooks, recipes, and detailed instructions, I haven't outgrown my stubborn streak. When I went to visit the CIA in the fall I was fairly set on entering the baking and pastry arts program. As my parents and I walked around the campus, our tour guide told us how 2/3 of the baking and pastry arts program was made up of women, whereas the culinary arts program was only 1/3 women. I decided right then and there that I wouldn't follow the trend, that I would push myself into an industry that is fueled, run, and dominated by men. I have no qualms about it, no second thoughts. If anything, my ambition to succeed against the odds has far surpassed my original enthusiasm for entering the baking and pastry arts world!

So, as for what my entries will hold.. I'm not exactly sure yet. Some of it will be accounts of my job at a restaurant, some of it will be about my anticipation for this culinary journey I'm about to embark on. Some will be reviews of restaurants I visit, or reviews of recipes I make. But I'm excited for this blog, and I can't wait to really get started!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Molly, you were so cute in those pictures! And who could forget the 'Peanut Butter Bred?' I still have that recipe!
    xoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAH Peanut Butter Bread!!!
    That sounds terrifying...

    I look forward to personally tasting every entry Molly makes on this blog and writing my impression. Yummm....
    Bon Appetit!
    ~ Ian

    ReplyDelete